The firm of Koch was established in 1879 by Robert Koch, at 6 Biebergasse in Frankurt. He soon became one of Germanys leading jewellers. At some point in the 1880s, his boutique was relocated to larger premises at 56 Haus Zeil, an indication of its rapid growth. The final location, at the corner of Kaiserstrasse and Mainzerstrasse, was in a building designed by the architect Paul Wallot who also built the German Reichstag. Kochs reputation spread quickly and he became purveyor for almost all of the princely houses in Germany, and ultimately to the Kaiser, as well as to some foreign houses. To accommodate the seasonal wanderings of his clientele, he also opened a boutique in Baden-Baden. Prior to its closing in November 1987, the firm was run by Eugen Brüning.